Monday, June 11, 2007

United Arab Emirates

I don't think I knew the real meaning of the term "culture shock" until I went from Delhi to Dubai. Coming from the third world to a place with an indoor ski slope in the desert is enough to make you cry. My time in
Southeast Asia and India has certainly changed my perspective and I have to say it was hard readjusting, especially in a place as over the top as Dubai. Construction is non-stop and they will have the worlds tallest building quite soon. For those of you that aren't familiar, check it out on the web http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai . It's insane. So I flew from India over Pakistan and there I was in DUBAI. It's an interesting place to say the least with a population of expats, westerners, Indians, Philippinoes and residents from neighboring Pakistan. This leaves only 10% of the population being truly "local." Nevertheless you know your in the Middle East with the traditional Muslim clothes, men in their dish dashes and some woman fully covered.

Big, huge, massive hugs to Karen and Micheal (and Toni for hooking me up with them!) for taking me in and opening up their lovely home to me for four days. It was great to see Dubai with all of their insight--and being at their house was exactly what I needed! After spending two hours scrubbing the dirt off myself and my belongings, I resurfaced to find a wonderful salad, wine and cheese. Karen handled it quite well when I cried in her living room because this was all so amazing to me. It's funny how quickly you forget about the comforts you used to take for granted. In some ways Dubai was like a mini San Francisco to me me just plopped down in the center of the middle east.

But of course there were the elements that reminded me of my position on the globe. The desert sun and extreme heat being two of the most memorable. But I did have great fun on a "desert safari" with camels, the shisha (hookah) and SUV's bouncing around the sand dunes.

A huge highlight was seeing Katie during her reunion holiday with Brian. For those of you that don't know, Katie is a good friend I made at the AHA and Brian is her husband whose in the Navy and currently in the gulf. They were staying at the amazing Grovsner House Hotel. And so by default I was able to enjoy some of the amenities. :)

Sad news the day before I left was that my father, due to a string of unfortunate events, was not going to be able to meet me in Germany the next day. So, I left the comforts of Karen and Micheal's house for Frankfurt, Germany. . .

1 comment:

Village Talkies said...

Thanks for sharing
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.