Friday, March 30, 2007

Fiji

Bula!

I just returned from the Yasawa Island group where I stayed on three islands--it was spectacular!

The first island was Nacula at Oarsman's Bay Resort. http://www.oarsmansbay.com/ While I was there I hiked to an amazing vista with a 360 degree view of the island, visited a local tribe, snorkeled and made friends with some funny British girls. I also braved my first hostel. It was cake, really. Of the four I've stayed in, three were great and one not so much. But I now know that I can survive without a real shower or lights. :-) I also found that the mosquitoes here really love everyone but me, so I didn't even need to use my mosquito net after the first night!

Travellers island hop via the Yasawa Flyer, aka the big yellow boat. It's really quite fun because every time you board you reunite with other travelers that you've met on board previously or on another island. After a tearful departure from Oarsman's (the locals play the guitar and sing to you as the boat leaves) I was on my way to Naviti. Here is where I ran into Hanne (pronounced) Hanna who was the first girl I met while leaving the airport. She's great! A beautiful Norwegian with a thick southern accent. She studied in America (in Ketucky) for a year where she learned English. She and I became fast friends with each other as well as Danny (from Spain and hilarious) and Ben (from the UK). All of us travelling alone, we became a new group. After visiting beautiful beaches and hiking a mountain in Navtiti, the four of us were off to Waya Lailai.

We all fell IN LOVE with Waya Lailai. The Fijians, the resort, the food, the half dome looking rock that marks this beautiful island, all of it was brilliant. Hanne and I were even bumped to private rooms because the dorm was full. We felt lucky until we got spooked by our gecko friends who were sharing our new digs. HA! Another new friend that I made there was Glen Craig, an Aussie photographer. He has spent was I think has been the last 20 years capturing this amazing island group and the friendly Fijians. As I read through my Lonely Planet guide I noticed he was feature and he even gave me a signed copy of one of his books. He's one of the most interesting people I've met in awhile.



Tonight I'm in Nadi on the main island. I ran into a threesome of French guys who I've been seeing on and off during the island hoping. They all live in Auckland and have invited me to stay in there "flat" and show me around on my way out of NZ towards the end of April.

For now, I'm really getting excited to see New Zealand and of course to see Rob! I fly in the AM and he arrives on Sunday.

Other than that I'm having an amazing time. I've been staying healthy and running everyday. I think of all of you often. Please send e-mails letting me know how each and every one of you are doing!!!

18 comments:

Linde said...

That's my daughter!!! Wow, I am so impressed and glad that you decided to do a blog. You can bet that we're all jealous! What a great posting. We are on Spring Break here but when I get back...they'll be a lot of things to share with my students. I love you!

Shannon said...

Hey Girlie! So glad the blog is up and running. Fiji sounds really amazing and beautiful, and I'm happy to hear about all the people you've met already. Good luck as the adventure continues! Miss you!

xoxo,
Shannon

Bob and Gloria Hollerbach said...

Kase --

Wow!! Looks and sounds like you are having a terrific time! Tell Rob that he needs to relax while he's there. He can't sell anything from that time zone anyway....

Bob and Gloria

heidi said...

Sounds like you are having fun. I am glad you are meeting so many people. Take care and I miss you lots!

gina said...

Kase - your blog is great and sure sounds like your having an absolutely amazing time - you deserve it! Continue to explore all the wonders of the world.

xoxo,
Gina

Toni said...

I love the blog - I'm excited to experience your travels with you! Can't wait to hear about NZ!! xo t

stacey lei Krauss said...

giiiiiiirl.... i loove your spirit of adventure - and so so happy that you are taking on the workd (literally)... excited to follow your adventures.
stay safe have fun.... and keep doing plank :) xo slk

Momily said...

Yippee! So glad to have another friend blogging their travels. Fiji looks AMAZING and you do too... such a tan beauty out on your wild adventure!

Keep the updates coming. We should touch base when you get back, the baby will be huge by then! Much love, Emily

Unknown said...

Love your use of the British "brilliant"...Hope you and "Oh, Rob" are having a fab time in NZ. Cannot wait to hear about it. Not to worry-- Tia is still alive under Rho's and my supervision. XOXO Kat

Unknown said...

KASE!!! Words cannot describe how freaking jealous I am of you right now! We miss you dearly but are so excited for your adventures, be sure to keep us updated and rest assured Kat and I have the Pac Heights Condo under control. BE SAFE and remember not to try to get any crazy disease shots without me- you are a flincher.

Suzanne said...

I'm such a dork I didn't even see that you had a blog until April 3! Even better than an "I'm still alive" e-mail. Wonderful photos, but don't blow your wad as you'll have to entertain Walt and I when you're here cuddling with Joaquin. I miss you so much (going to a party at Toni and Christian's just wasn't the same w/o you), but I know you're having an experience that far out-paces hanging out in San Francisco (though that's fun too). Keep up the posts but I'm sure we all understand you'd rather have the fun than write about having the fun. I love you.

enigimatically said...

Wow! I'm so jealous. Looks like a fabulous time!

auntastasia said...

You are glowing and I can't say enough glowing things about how wonderful it is that you are on this world-wide adventure. Keep up the posts! I can't wait to read more.

Happy Easter! I bet you are hunting for something much more interesting than eggs today.

alison fyfe said...

I am so jealous! I wish I was doing the same thing... Can't wait to follow you on your journey through your blog...running everyday? Wow... that's dedication.

Unknown said...

hi love bug,
since you've left i've had many nights where i think to myself, "Oh, I'll call Kase, she'll want to grab dinner/a glass of wine/meet random strangers on the street/(fill in the blank)..." BUT then i remember that you're off living your life all over this great, big, wonderful world.

It looks like Fiji was a success and it sounds as though NZ was as well. Can't wait for the next blog post. We're all thinking about you and missing you!

Much love,

Jess

christine said...

Kase,
What an absolutely amazing experience you must be having. The blog is a great idea! I hope you continue to have the time of your life and can't wait to see you once you return home to San Francisco. For now, that's my idea of traveling around the world. :) Stay healthy and happy in your travels. Lots of love, Christine

Shannon said...

Yet again the blog is awesome. You have some really beautiful pictures and I know the experience is WAY more amazing in person. I'm so happy you've got some travel buddies and I love reading about all of the adventures. Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to see you next month!! Stay safe and have fun :)

xoxo,
Shannon

Linde said...

This blog needs some comments! Hi lovely daughter. Can't wait for you to slow down and add some pictures to your blog. BTW, I took 44 of your pictures from your album, copied them and got a great deal on 4 x 6 prints.

Love you,
Mom